Pilar Cyst Information | Dermatology Education Pilar Cyst Information Video
August 18, 2019

Dermnet Videos

Benign tumors Videos

  • Chondrodermatitis Nodularis Helicis
  • Dermatofibroma
  • Epidermal Cyst
  • Hypertrophic Scars and keloids
  • Keratoacanthoma
  • Nevus Sebaceus
  • Pilar Cyst
  • Sebaceous Hyperplasia
  • Seborrheic Keratosis
  • Skin Tags
  • Syringoma
  • Pilar Cyst Information

    A pilar cyst is a firm, subcutaneous, keratin-filled cyst originating from the outer root sheath of the hair follicle. Roughly 90% of pilar cysts are found on the scalp, with the remaining 10% occurring on the face, neck, back, and scrotum. The epithelium of the outer root sheath undergoes a different form of keratinization than cutaneous epithelium.